Wednesday, August 22, 2007

High School is...

SCARY!!

#1 and I went to the HS orientation last night. We met in the auditorium.
About half way through, they told the kids to go to the gym to get their schedules. That seemed reasonable until you realize that you will probably never ever find your kid among the throngs.

They dismissed the parents about a half an hour after the kids left. They expect you to simply run into your kid in the hallway. I happened to find mine still in the gym.

His schedule looks pretty good except for his English class. They put him in Gifted and Talented English. He is smart, but he's certainly not gifted. We met the teacher and she's frightening... I have to get that changed today.

#1 and I fought our way to his classes - all but one. We found his locker. We planned a route for him to get from class to class. We were making our way around the school and he said, "Mom, I'm never going to find my way."
"Give it a week, #1. You'll know this place like you know the back of your hand."
"I dunno, this is really scary."

He's right. It is scary.
He will do fine. Just fine.
Right now he's totally wigged out.
We are going to the school today to get his books, find our way around, and get that schedule changed. Hopefully, that will make him feel a little more comfortable.

Until then - It's just scary -- big and scary.

4 comments:

MaR said...

#1 will do just fine!! (but I know it is scary...!) Well, it is a big step after all. And he'll do wonderful, just wait and see!
((hugs)) to both of you :)

Unknown said...

I guess that's part of the learning, getting comfortable with change. I hope everything goes swimmingly.

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

Aww he will do just fine. I'm glad we have a few more years before I have to tackle this one.

Clearlykels said...

This is exciting. I can't believe they are going to be in highschool-- that is just crazy. He'll do it & it will be great.