Saturday, June 26, 2010

Craziness...

My #1 is at a band honor ensemble this weekend.
From the beginning it's been a bit disorganized, but I thought it was because we came into the game pretty late.

Last week I got the packing list that included a black suit. He doesn't have one of his own, but he is borrowing one and that will have to do. I thought we were the only ones who were getting the packing list so late, but I discovered that everyone got their packing list very very late... In the organizers' defense, this is the first time they've ever done anything like this, so a little disorganization is understandable.

I dropped #1 off the other day - they did not have name tags for the boy, but they did have a place for him to sleep.  I was a little annoyed, but since there were kids who didn't have rooms or beds, I decided that the name tag was the least of my worries.

A couple of weeks ago, I was sent an email asking for chaperones. I told them I would be more than happy to do that. They told me they needed me on Friday and Saturday.
I arrived there yesterday morning - at 6am. (This meant I was out of bed at 4:30 and on the road shortly before 5am - not to mention that I woke up at 3:30 because I was afraid I'd sleep through my alarm.. you know how it is.)
I was the first chaperone there.
I was there before the organizer - that's fine.. I actually arrived 10 min. early.
I chatted with the organizer and then a few other parents showed up - one had come from a different hotel, others had arrived late the night before, but they were there to chaperone. Lovely, I thought.

The organizer asked me if I was driving. My answer - ummm... no.. I don't drive in DC.  (Basically my thought process was this: Are you kidding me? You want me to drive to DC NOW? It's after 7, the traffic is horrendous, there is no parking, and I can't take the HOV lane... If you had wanted me to meet you at the Capitol Building why didn't you say so two weeks ago??) 
He said, "Oh, Okay."
We loaded the kids on the buses - checked 'em off as they got on.
There were few seats left for chaperones.
Some chaperones without seats decided to pay for a shuttle.
Not me.
I found #1, handed him the camera, gave him a hug, and told him to have a great day.
I went home.
I got a bunch of band stuff done.
I hung out with my girly.
I took a much deserved nap.
It was a lovely day!  It sure beat walking around DC in 95 degree heat.
Today they said they probably don't need me.
I'm not driving 40 miles each way to find out.
Instead, I'm attending an engagement party for the daughter of a friend and then I'm going to polo.
See - now it's all about me.
:-)

2 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

kinda like that phrase "lack of planning on your part does not create an emergency on my part."

sorry you had to do all that driving. hugs!

grambug said...

Anyone who has a modicum of common sense knows that driving into DC at 7 AM is entering the belly of the beast.... on a good day:-)
Why would anyone??
Forgive them....they know not what they ask!
Renee said it best!