Thursday, June 28, 2018

Rules

We have rules. We are a nation built upon those rules.

One of those rules is that if you want to come into our country to stay, you need to do it the right way. You need to apply for a visa, fill out paperwork, submit all kinds of documentation, show up at the appropriate office at the requisite time. It’s not easy, but nothing worth having is easy.

My family is full of legal immigrants on all sides. My family came to this country the right way. Every member appreciates what it took to get here. My grandfather came from Italy when he was a young boy.  He served in the Army, worked hard, and believed in the American Dream. He also never allowed Italian to be spoken in his home. “This is America. We speak English!”

My husband came from Canada. When he immigrated, he had to sign a paper that said he would never go on welfare. When my husband became an American citizen, it was one of the proudest days of his life. He still gets a twinkle in his eye when he talks about it.

Lately the media is all hyped up about illegal immigrants being caught sneaking into our country being separated from their children. Well, it seems to me, that if you sneak into the country, you have broken the law, you are a felon, and you have no right to be here. Also, if you’re sneaking into our country, who are you and who are these children with you? Are they yours? Are you a sex trafficker? How do I know? You have no identification. You could be a terrorist. If I tried to sneak into Mexico, I’d be separated from my family and tossed in jail. Why? Because I came in illegally. I broke the law. Why should it not the same here? Oh, it is... but some don’t like it.

Basically, if you want to come to the US, do it the right way.

No comments: