Monday, February 04, 2008

Listening Skills

Mr. has been busy with work the last few weeks. He has been programming like a fool at every hour of the day. I know this because he and his laptop are parked at our kitchen island near the heat of the wood stove.

LLB had to be at the high school on Saturday morning at 7:15 to catch the bus - with the rest of the district band kids - to the district band venue an hour or so away.

On Friday and a few days before that, Mr. and I were discussing the Saturday bus. I was whining that it was at the high school. He said that he would take her on Saturday and then go to his church activity.

On Saturday morning, LLB was ready to go. Mr. was nowhere to be found. I went looking and found him in the shower. I said, "What are you doing? You have to be there at 7:15. It's 6:50. You should be leaving now... it takes 20 min. minimum to get there."

"I have plenty of time."
Well, at 6:55 they pulled out of the driveway.
LLB wanted me to take her, but Mr. "really wanted to take her"... so he did.

Mistake.

At 7:10 I received a call from Mr.
"You didn't tell me that she had to be at the high school."
"I did tell you. We discussed it. I whined about having to go there and that's when you said you'd take her."
"Oh... I guess I wasn't listening."
(No foolin'!)
"We aren't going to make it."
"The bus leaves at 7:30. You can make it. Just drive! If you don't make it, bring her back and I'll take her!" I was NOT happy and my tone of voice was not calm or sweet or nice...
"No... I'll take her."
"You don't know where it is, and you don't know where you are going."
(They don't call him Wrong Way for nothing.)
"You can direct me over the phone."
"No I can't! Just drive! And if you don't make it, bring her back!"
We hung up at that point.

At 7:25, the phone rang again.
"Did you make it?"
"Yes, we made it. The band directors got a good laugh when I told them that the middle school is awfully quiet this time of day. I couldn't understand why you were so hot and bothered that we hadn't left by 6:50."
"What did they say?"
"They were laughing! Then I told them that I thought your hand was going to shoot out of the phone and dope slap me."

He is very lucky that I'm too cheap to pay for that option... But, it just might be worth it.

No comments: