Monday, January 11, 2010

Just keep swimming...

I have a pinched nerve in my neck. It is causing me great angst not to mention tingles in my thumb and down my arm.
The physical therapist wants me to swim 3 times a week for 30 minutes and to get my heart rate up to 123 and keep it there. Let me tell you, when you are 14, you can swim for hours and not even feel it. It's actually quite fun...
When you are much older than 14, it really isn't all that pleasant especially when you can't do the breast stroke... Doing 30 minutes of freestyle is almost torture. Fortunately for me, I can flip over and do the back stroke... Oh and I can turn on to my side and do the side stroke...
But really, when you are swimming - even when you go with a friend, it's kinda... boring... you can't swim and chat. I know this. I tried... I almost drowned myself.
So, I'll just keep swimming...
There is one benefit to all of this torture - it makes you skinny... fast!  You use all kinds of muscles and burn all kinds of fat just trying to stay afloat while getting from one end of the pool to the other...

No comments: