Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Economics 101

Yesterday, the children were home - it's a teacher work day or something. They are home today as well. #1 needed new binders for his 3 new classes that start tomorrow.
So, we went to Wallyworld. While I was there, I had time before I had to be at my school, so I decided to hit the Christmas aisle to see if there was anything at a real bargain I could use.

Believe it or not, I did quite well. I got some gift card holders for 75 cents. I got gift bags for 5 cents. I even got large gift bags for 20 cents. #1 was watching me sift through the piles of stuff on the shelves and he said, "Mom, you don't need this NOW. Why are you even looking at it?

(Ahhh... my son... it is time for your economics lesson!)

"Okay, #1. Look at the tag. What is the original price?"
"$3.89"
"What is the price today?"
"75 cents for this one and 50 cents for that one."
"Yes, if I purchase it next December it will cost me $3.89 or maybe more. If I purchase it today and put it on the shelf it will cost me far less."
"Yeah, but you don't need it until December."
"True. But I might not have $3.89 or the time to shop for this in December, but I sure do have 50 cents and I am here today."
"Well, it is a lot less. But, I still don't understand why you would buy it now. It's out dated."
"In December, when you need a gift for someone, you remember this conversation. You can pay me $3.89 or you can pay me 50 cents."
"Oh... OOOOhhh... I'll be giving you 50 cents."

(I thought so...)

No comments: