Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's only Tuesday?

Wow, we've had a long week and it has only just begun.
The children started a Jazz camp yesterday. On paper, it sounded like a terrific opportunity to learn how to play Jazz on their respective instruments. So, I hauled them out of bed at 6am, threw breakfast in their general direction, made lunch and included all their favorite goodies, drove 45 minutes to have them there by 8am, and returned to pick them up at 2.

When camp was over, #1 came out into the hallway where I was waiting with a few other parents and started to complain as loud as he possibly could, "Mom, why did you sign us up for this?! It's SOOO BORING! He lectured for 4 hours! Do I have to come back?"

My thought, "OMG! You are kidding, right? All that effort and you hate it?"
I said, "#1 don't be rude. Say hello to Mrs. Smith. Say hello to your Grandmother."

When we got to the car, I let him tell me everything. I had 45 min, you know. I found out that LLB didn't mind the lecture - and it wasn't 4 hours, but she said it was long. She would have liked to have played more than 5 notes all day. Lunch was the best part. They hung out with the kids from their school (there are 4 in all) because the other kids didn't want to have much to do with them. They were both fine with that. They liked the sandwiches I made and the camp provided bottled water.

When I got home I sent the teacher an email. It was nice. I just asked if the children were going to be playing more as the week went on because that's what they wanted to do while they were there. He emailed me right back - imagine that?! Yes, they would. I guess I will be driving 45 minutes each way again today...

They darned well better play more today!!!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Well I hope they do play more today! Otherwise I guess that will be a long car ride home.

Anonymous said...

aw well i hope they get to toot that horn all day! anyway, i remember when i sent my kids to camp...they were gone for a week and i had my vacation! hubby bought me some lingerie from a site (pamperedpassions) and we had fun all week! They the kids came home....stories and dirt and all.....i missed them, but that week was spectacular!

Renee Nefe said...

I'm sorry their first day was such a bummer. I hope the rest of the week goes better.

I tried to get DD into a gymnastics camp, but since we have year round school here they didn't get enough other kids to sign up for it. boo! But it seems as though she would have had to be at the gym from 1:30 to 5:30 on M & W and then 1:30 to 3:30 on F! That's a bit much so I guess it was a blessing that she didn't get in. LOL!

Thanks for the pictures...the only one of you has a lot of LLB's hair in your face. Dontcha hate when you're the only photographer in the group...so you're not in any of the shots? It looks almost like you weren't there. (happens to me all the time!)

WendyWings said...

I bet the first day was more of an aclimatisation day. Sounds like a busy summer!!
Have a great week, I know I have not been around much but I am back into the blogging world again now.

Clearlykels said...

Hopefully, it gets to be more fun!! That is a lot of driving for you!! Also, TAG your it. I Tagged you for a meme!