Monday, July 10, 2006

Monday Memories



Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you About Marmalade's Latest Adventure?


The other night, Mr. Bug was cooking on the grill which has been temporarily located on the front walk outside the garage door. It is most attractive, but at least it will not float away when it rains.

He was running to and from the kitchen through the garage. On one of his many trips in, he said, "Marmalade is hunting a rabbit. Come see!"

I went out quietly. I stood against the car and watched.

Marmalade was stalking a rabbit about the same size as himself. This was going to be good!! His ears were up. His tail was swishing - just at the tip. (How he managed that, I'll never know!!) He was moving in slooooooow mooootioooon.
A step. A pause. Crouch more... another step, another pause... He never took his eyes off of Mr. Rabbit.

Mr. Rabbit was a rather large rabbit who obviously enjoys the clover he finds in the yard. He sat there munching away with one eye on this toothless clawless cat who was slinking across the driveway. Just to goad the cat, Mr. Rabbit actually turned his back on the cat. Mr. Rabbit did keep the cat in sight. He's not fat because he's stupid.

Marmalade started to creep a little bit faster - a couple of steps at a time. He was almost drooling... He was thinking about that rabbit stew he was going to have for dinner. (How he was going to chew it is a question he didn't answer.)

Mr. Rabbit let Marmalade get within about 10 feet and then with one quick tap of the feet, he was gone. Off into the woods. Poor Marmalade... He flopped down on the gravel driveway and sighed. "All that work for nothing."

At this point I called to him. He actually rolled his eyes at me! The humiliation was almost too much for him to take. When he finally decided to come in, he sulked over to the fridge.
"Mom, I need some food. I've had a tough day. I didn't catch anything!" He whined.
"Marmalade, you can't catch a rabbit the same size as you. It's impossible!" I answered. "Be reasonable, like your sister. Go for a mouse or a small bird."
"Oh, Mom... I am (dramatic pause) 'The Hunter'. Mice are sooo pasee. I want my hunting to be worthwhile. I don't want to use all that energy for something like a tiny mouse. It's barely a mouthfull."
I silently rolled my eyes and handed him his bowl of mush.
"Marmalade, you will always be 'My Favorite Toothless, Clawless Hunter.'

Marmalade just came over and proof-read this excerpt. When he finished, he gave me a kiss. This MM seems to have passed muster. He is currently lounging in front of the screen waiting for his fan club to leave some comments. Please don't disappoint the old boy.

LadyBug

Click here for the Monday Memories Code, Blogroll, Graphics, & Other Information








Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!

8 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

My MM is not up yet but I just had to leave Mr. Marmalade a note. I say that he is a real hero for trying. Just because you don't have all that is takes anymore Marmalade just keep it up big guy!!

Lazy Daisy said...

You so need to write children's books. Everyone needs a little "Marmalade" in their life! Give the ole boy a pat for me too. My MM is up.

Unknown said...

You can take the claws out of the cat but you can't take away that instinct! Great story. My MM is up.

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Poor Marmalade. He was dreaming of a rabbit stew but now he has to be contented with he has.
Mine is up too.

MaR said...

Cute story, LBC!! that was fine monday reading! Hello to Marmalade!! was that mush good??? :¬D

Renee Nefe said...

DD wants to know how you speak to the cats. LOL!

I'm glad to hear that Mr Fat Rabbit is also smart. :D

craziequeen said...

Woo! Marmalade the Hunter!

I have an 18yr old cat who remembers hunting, but can no longer cut the mustard.......

and a 1yr old who can only hunt shadows and toys.......

Have you had a go at my Monday Memory Game yet? :-)

cq

Unknown said...

I hope MArmalade gets over this memorable minor malady.