Friday, July 07, 2006

Mr. Mouseketeer


It was about 7pm.
Mr. Bug was catching some Tennis on TV while he was finishing up the dishes. LLB was watching her cartoon. I was on the phone with my dear friend, J.
The doors were open to catch a beautiful cool evening breeze.
Our cats were running in and out enjoying themselves.
All of a sudden, I noticed our gray cat, Angel, come in. Something was different.
She ran into the family room - which is right off the kitchen.
I followed her and found, to my surprise, that she had a mouse in her mouth.
First thought - eeewwww.
Second thought - it's still squeeking.
Third thought - OMG! She's going to drop it!
I quickly said, "Umm... Mouse..."
Mr. Bug turned and said, "What?"
"Um... Petite Minou has a mouse in her mouth."
LLB sat up and watched as the cat put her mouse down. Oh... Petite Minou was so proud!
"Quick, Daddy, she dropped it!"
The mouse started to crawl away - fortunately for us, his back legs weren't functioning properly.
The cat batted it.
The mouse's front legs were going like little propellers.
Mr. Bug grabbed about 20 paper towels. All household problems can be solved with a roll of Bounty!
The cat scooped up the mouse and ran to the other side of the room.
Mr. Bug ran for the front door and pushed it wide open to try to get the cat AND the mouse out.
The cat put the mouse down and ran for the open door.
That wasn't exactly what Mr. Bug had planned.
"Oh... (Insert Mr. Bug's expletive here...)!
He leaped in and scooped up the mouse in his wad of paper towels.
He ran for the door and tossed the mouse out.
The mouse didn't fly far. He landed on the threshold.
Mr. Bug cried, "Oh no! He's trying to get back in!"
By this time I was laughing so hard, I could barely breathe... I was no help whatsoever!!
He scooped the poor mouse up once again and tossed him.
Poor Mr. Bug. He must have washed his hands in hot water for about 5 minutes straight. All the while I'm still laughing... again, I'm no help. My friend on the phone is cracking up listening to all the commotion.
I said, "Where's the mouse? Is he gone?"
Mr. Bug's reply -- "He could be up my shorts for all I know!"


New Rule: Check all cats' mouths before they come in. They must open wide and show under their tongues before the door is opened and entrance is permitted. The revolving door at The Crossing has been removed - permanently!

4 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Absoultely great!! But I am glad that I was not there. I DO NOT like mice. I know they are little but I still don't like them. Our cats bring in stuff like that too...they are proud you know and have to show us what they found!! How funny!! I can just see everyone laughing. I love those kind of moments....

Renee Nefe said...

That's too funny! I'm glad we have a dog who isn't fast enough to catch anything...see Mr McGreggor story.

Thanks for the kudos on my new hair! I'll have to try to get some pix outside to see if the color shows up better.

Susan said...

Oh my goodness!! I would have died...mice are in the same category as spiders and snakes for me. I remember my cat bringing one in when I was younger. I reached down and found her "prize" and she sat so proud. I turned green and hollered for someone to come and get that thing. Glad it brought a smile to you, though!!

Anonymous said...

lol, thank goodness all our cat has brought in was a lizard.