Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday Memories



Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you About Sophie and Her Cheerio Addiction?


LLB wanted me to share a little story about Sophie. Sophie was our yellow labrador that we had when the children were babies. She died a few years ago, but her antics remain treasured memories around here.

LLB thought that since we now have Zeb (see yesterday's post), we should share a dog story.

Sophie loved the children. I think she only loved them because the were a constant source of treats. Her girth could attest to their sloppiness, but her vaccuum like tongue kept my kitchen floor free of debris for quite a long time.

Sophie's favorite game was to suck cheerios out of the children's hands without their knowledge. #1 Son caught on to her game pretty quickly and immediately stuffed his cheerios into his mouth - he didn't carry them around in his fist. LLB, on the other hand, just didn't seem to get it. Sophie would walk up behind her and with the finesse of the best pickpocket, she would suck those cheerios out of LLB's hand with out her knowledge. When LLB was ready to stuff her cheerios in her mouth, she was always confused as to where they went. It got to be a game with Sophie. It was not as fun for LLB - but it sure was funny for me! Mr. Bug and I would snicker and giggle as Sophie sucked the cheerios out of her hands. We got so we were cheering the dog on - silently, of course! Once in a while Sophie got caught, but LLB had such a big heart, she would simply give the cheerios to Sophie. It was sweet, but Sophie liked the challenge.

One day, after munching cheerios for most of the day, Sophie found the bowl - the "mother load", you might say. She scarfed every last one in a matter of seconds. She slurped up the few she dropped. And then it happened. She actually felt the cheerios rumbling around in her belly. She laid down and moaned. I could see it in her eyes. She had finally overdosed! That would be the last cheerio she ever ate.

I was a bit sad about that. She kept my floors free and clear of cheerios. I never had a crushed cheerio in my carpet, either. Those days were gone. I could tell just by the way she had moaned. It was the broom and dust buster for me. Until the day she died, Sophie never ever ate another cheerio. If she found one on the floor, she'd leave it. She'd actually look at me with those eyes and say, "Mom, I just can't eat that, okay?" I totally understood.

LadyBug

Click here for the Monday Memories Code, Blogroll, Graphics, & Other Information





Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!

11 comments:

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It's sometimes to know how much a pet can give you some lovely memories. That was a funny story too.
Mine is up too.

Katherine said...

Too cute! I have a lab and I didn't think they overdosed on anything!! He does keep the floor very clean, it's great! Now if he would just stop shedding...

Unknown said...

What a wonderful memory. Dogs are special in so many ways but I never heard of one eating Cheerios like that. Thanks for sharing.

My MM is up too.

Renee Nefe said...

Such a sweet story. I'm not sure that Lilly could find anything to OD on...she's an endless pit. Although, she used to love ice cubes and now she prefers them crushed. If you give her a whole ice cube she'll take it to the carpet and leave it until it's smaller...but I usually pick them up and throw them away first because I don't want a puddle on my carpet. Maybe a full ice cube gives her brain freeze?

I do love how my kitchen floor NEVER has any food or crumbs on it. Maybe I should rethink not letting her into the dining room?

Carmen said...

Aww, what a sweet story! I feel that way about potato chips. :)

PS, I like your new blog header. I'd have found my way over this week anyway, I'm sure, but today, Wendy sent me. :)

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Great..I love it when you post about animals..You are so good with the stories...especially your cats when they are talking. This one is so good...Animals are so like people don't you think. My hubby was given banana bread when we were first married. He came home from church and sat down and ate that WHOLE loaf by himself. He got really sick if you can only imagine how...to this day HE will NOT touch banana bread!! smile..Sandy

Anonymous said...

Awww...cute story!

Unknown said...

That is so charming. She sounds like a wonderful dog.

Raggedy said...

That was a wonderful story...
What a wonderful memory...
I checked out your new addition Zeb..He is adorable! The way you found him had to be a sign...Wow!
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) huge huggles
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Uisce said...

We've found our dogs just love fortune cookies! How weird is that? And sadly I guess that means we need to get more take out Chinese food! Darn! :)

Anonymous said...

[url]http://www.geocities.com/problem397play/multiple-hands-same-table-poker-online.htm[/url]