Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The Crimson Rooms

I received an advance copy of the book "The Crimson Rooms" by Katharine McMahon (she also authored "The Alchemist's Daughter") to read and review.  It is published by Putnam.

This is the gist of the story and is directly from the back cover:
Still haunted by the death of her only brother, James, in the Great War, Evelyn Gifford is completely unprepared when a young nurse and her six-year-old son appear on the Giffords' doorstep one night. The child, the nurse claims, is James's, conceived in a battlefield hospital. The grief-stricken Giffords take them both in; but Evelyn, a struggling attorney, must now support her entire family-at a time when work for women lawyers is almost nonexistent.

Suddenly a new case falls in Evelyn's lap: Seemingly hopeless, it's been abandoned by her male coworkers. The accused-a veteran charged with murdering his young wife- is almost certain to die on the gallows. . . . And yet, Evelyn believes he is truly innocent, just as she suspects there may be more to the story of her "nephew" than meets the eye.


I won't tell you how it ends. You'll have to read the book and find out for yourself.
I will tell you that I enjoyed the story. I like romantic historical fiction - what? I'm sucker for a little romance and a little history! It is a good read and I recommend the book.  I think you'll find it on a lot of summer reading lists this year!

If you need a good mystery, pick up "The Crimson Rooms" on February 8th!!  It is available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Borders. 



“I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by MotherTalk on behalf of G.P. Putnam's Sons / Riverhead and received a copy of the book to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.”

No comments: