Thursday, February 04, 2010

Subbing...

long term - is hard.
I've just spent the last 5 days (during the weekend and my snow days) searching for math worksheets and such for my students. I've printed out materials for the science classes. I am ready for cylinders and cones in math and a whole unit of science.

It would have been a whole lot nicer if the teacher had the worksheets made out for the math students - but in her defense, she thought they'd be done with this stuff by now. Alas, once we finish cylinders and cones and have our test on 3-d shapes, we'll move on to slope. And then I'll start looking for stuff all over again...  It never ceases to amaze me how little the teachers keep from year to year. I'm not saying to use the same worksheets over and over, but as a fall back it would be nice...

So - we have a delay today. The kids will at last be back at school. The science kids will finish their exams and the math kids will continue on with surface area and volume. Some math kids will finish up a quiz and then the day will be done. We can only hope that we get tomorrow's school day in before the snow flies...  We're expecting 2 feet this weekend and that probably means that there will be no school on Monday.

I like 4 day work weeks...
I am getting a little worried about getting all the material the teacher wants covered by the time she gets back, but we'll manage - in science at least.. in Math... well, she might be playing catch-up in April.

4 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

Sounds like you're doing your best. I'm sure the kids will be fine.

hugs

Melli said...

The easy fix is to ask some of the other teachers. They usually team teach these days anyway and share all their stuff. ;)

Susan said...

Yeah, I agree with Melli. It seems to me that most curriculum today comes with a wealth of resources for extending, enriching and reteaching lessons.

Hang in there.

Susan

Ladybug Crossing said...

It would be nice if the book were decent, alas it is not. That's the biggest problem... they don't use the book... UGH!