Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Surgery

LLB had to have some minor out-patient surgery at Walter Reed this week. She asked me to take her, and I jumped at the chance to spend time. 

She had to get up at 2am and drink 32 oz of Gatorade. That’s a LOT of Gatorade! She did as directed. 2am is early! There was no point in trying to go back to sleep because we had to leave by 4. FYI: there is no traffic at that hour. It was a lovely drive! 

We arrived at the hospital shortly before our required arrival time of 5am. We parked and then I followed her into the hospital. Please note: this hospital is enormous! I should have paid better attention to where I was going so when it was time to get the car, I’d know where to go. 

She had the Covid test and then went to “pre-op holding”. We sat for a very long time. I think we both hit the potty twice before they took her back. The Red Cross staffs the waiting room and the people are wonderful! There was coffee and snacks! This is notable because when you get up at 2 and just have coffee, by 10am, you’re starving (and cold because the place is exceptionally drafty). 

I got her back after she was awake and somewhat lucid. Then I had to find the car and get to the pick up point. It took a bit, but I managed - with help from kind hospital staff who directed me and didn’t make me feel as lost as I actually was. 

We were home and eating a late lunch by 3:30 or 4. 

Needless to say, I stayed with her until today. I wanted to make sure there were no crazy complications before I left her. I got to hang with her, make her favorite dishes, we met Mr for lunch yesterday, and I helped her take her Christmas tree down. Hey - it’s still epiphany! It was a fun few days. 

I came home this afternoon. I stopped at the grocery store and then got my chores done - including laundry and dinner. 

Now it’s bed time. I am tired. It’s a good tired, though. Life is good! We are so blessed! 

No comments: