Monday, July 03, 2006

Monday Memories



Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you This ?


Last summer at about this same time I had to drop the children off at their respective camps for a week. #1 Son did music and drama. LLB did an outdoor explorer camp.

I left them both in the care of people about whom I knew nothing. I was a tad nervous. How would they fare without me? Would LLB stay organized? Would #1 Son make friends? Would they remember to shower and brush their teeth? What about the bed time snuggle?? What would happen if it thundered??

Alas, I walked away when the counselors said it was time to go. I thought about them both while they were gone, but I didn't worry as I thought I would. As the pick-up time approached I was excited to see them both and how well they had done without mom.

I found that they missed each other more than they had missed me - In many ways, I found that comforting. They had seen each other across the dining hall, but hadn't been able to do much more than wave hello. Just being on the same campus made them both feel at least somewhat connected.

That doesn't mean they weren't bickering in the car on the way home, mind you.

I picked up two children who had changed in ways I still find difficult to describe. He grew and stretched and became the popular kid he always wanted to be. He was rewarded for his musical and dramatic talents. He found a group of kids very much like himself who accepted him for who he is. That alone, was worth the price of admission!!

She became the confident young lady I always knew she was. I could see in her eyes that she had changed just a bit. She could face the world without me holding her hand. She was proud of her accomplishments - she learned to poop in the woods, climb a mountain, and be virtually independent. She wasn't "the little one" any more.

Today I drop the boy at his camp. He is excited to once again be among the kids who find his talents cool. His trunk is packed. He is ready.

LLB? Yup she's ready too, but her camp doesn't start for another week. One more week for me to snuggle her and keep her close.

Bittersweet? Nah.

LadyBug

Click here for the Monday Memories Code, Blogroll, Graphics, & Other Information




Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!



10 comments:

YellowRose said...

Love this one because I can relate! I use to go to church camp every summer, loved it! Now my daughter goes to camp, and works in them as a counselor and she has so much fun. She just can't wait till June every year! Camp molds kids into great adults...I truly believe that!

Happy Monday! My MM is up!

MaR said...

It's the camp season! lovely story... and I love your new template!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It is funny sometimes when only then when we have people that we love out of our sights do we discover how we miss them.
Mine is up too.

Unknown said...

Our girls didn't go to camp but I remember going. My first night away was a nightmare...but that's for another MM. Great story! Mine is posted.

Lazy Daisy said...

Awwww....I'm in purple puddles. I thought you lived in North Carolina. Of course your kidlings did well (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree). Good on ya for seeing how they have grown and changed.

Love the new Look....especially the lady bug crossing sign..(sweet)

Renee Nefe said...

I had a dream last night about DD going off on her first Girl Scout camping trip without me...it wasn't pretty on my end. LOL! I suppose that when she is ready she'll let me know. I don't remember ever being asked if I wanted to go...just being sent.

About our Hippy trip. I'm not so sure that the kids actually got everything that was going on around them. We did explain to the kids that these people were acting weird because they had taken stuff that kills their brain cells...they know about drugs and alcohol. So I guess this was a very good lesson for them to see that we weren't making this stuff up.
Hopefully next time we get to go to another campground...but unless we get some substancial rainfall it will be without campfires.

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

This is such a sweet posting. We took Little-Girl to acting camp for the past two weeks. She grew in many of the same ways that both of your children did. She grew to become the popular kid she always wanted to be, and she found out that she can do things on her own without us there.

She didn't even want to go to camp, but now she's so glad she did.

Raehan said...

Lovely post. I'm glad your kids found camps that are such good fits for them. It's great.

Lazy Daisy said...

Hey don't mind me....I go a little linky crazy at times...it will pass!

Katherine said...

Very sweet! They're growing up fast...