Friday, May 28, 2010

Graduation...

Is more than a year away for my #1, but many of his friends are off to college in the fall. He will not be at the graduation ceremony to see his friends walk the walk (he has an SAT to take that day), but he is supportive and happy for each and every one of them.
We have been invited to a few graduation parties this year. One family asked us to write a letter to their student. Have you any idea how hard that assignment might be?
Here's what I got from his mom - yesterday:
As a special gift to my student, I'm putting together a keepsake book filled with notes and letters from adult friends and family entitled Life Lessons. I have two purposes for this book: 1. to affirm qualities we have observed in his life and 2. to provide some positive exhortation from our own experiences in specific areas. For example, someone will write about the importance of prayer, and another on the need to manage time wisely. If you would like to contribute to this project, some of the topics include... The list is 2 pages long. It includes everything from gratitude to humility, from finances to being a good husband. 
This is tough...
I want it to be special.
I want it to be honest.
I want it to be something he can read later and find insight.

I'll let you know what I come up with...
Oh - yeah... graduation is next weekend. 
No pressure.

1 comment:

Renee Nefe said...

One of the DJs on KLOVE got a similar request, so they asked the audience for ideas.

I think the letter he came up with was a good one.

I sure don't envy you in this project though...that's too tough for me.