Monday, February 27, 2006

Monday Memories



Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you What Happened When #1 Son Gave a Hair Cut?


Ok - The hair/scissor saga continues...

#1 Son was not one to sit still when he was little. Taking him to the hairdresser was hell! He didn't do new people well. He knew when people were being "fake nice" to him. He knew he did not trust strange women with scissors and he knew he didn't like the buzzing thing they used either.

I took him to many many hair dressers until I found Terri. Terri was perfect for him. He loved her. When she spoke to him, she meant what she said and he respected her. She never tried to con him and he knew it. They chatted about all kinds of things. He liked her so much, he would even ask to go to 'da hay-ya dwessah to see Miss Tewwi and get a hay-ya cut'.

#1 Son was about 4 and Little LadyBug was about 2. I was busy in the kitchen making lunch or getting juice or something. The children were supposed to be watching a video.

FYI: I kept/keep scissors in the kitchen and to this day I don't know how the scissors (kid scissors) made it into the family room.

I walked into the room and I saw some hair on the floor. I thought it was dog hair on the carpet. (Our shedding machine - oops - I mean Labrador, Sophie, was always leaving me gifts to vaccuum.) Little LadyBug had beautiful long natural blonde hair that was full of banana curls. Well, I thought it was dog hair until I scooped it up and discovered, to my utter horror, that it was wasn't dog hair - it was a curl... a long curl...

I tried to stay calm... OK... I was trying really really hard.... Remember last week's memory... I was using my mother as a role model...

I said through clenched teeth, while trying to put a calm smile in my voice, "What is this?"
#1 Son said, "That's Little LadyBug's hair. We're playing hairdresser. I'm Miss Terri. I gave Little LadyBug a hair cut."
"Oh. hmmm.... deep breath... Little LadyBug, why did you let him cut your hair?"
"I din't... He just cut my hairs off."
"Oh... another deep breath... how much hairs?"
Little LadyBug turns around and scoops her curls up off the couch... "Dis many." Her eyes fill with tears as she realizes she might be bald. He got all but one curl. (Fortunately, her hair was plentiful and long and you really couldn't tell what he had lopped off.)
I cried....
#1 Son all of a sudden looked horrified... he just figured out that cutting hair is permanent...
"Oh Little LadyBug, I am so sorry. I won't do that ever again, k?" She nods and hugs him. It was a sweet moment. Unfortunately, I was till hyperventilating and couldn't really enjoy it.
I tell him to never ever cut any hair ever - I asked him to tell me the scissor rule and he said, very seriously, "Only cut paper."

I scooped up every last little bit of hair and I still have it in her baby book.

This story is told over and over here at the Crossing. #1 Son learned a very valuable lesson that day - don't cut anything but paper. If you do, it makes Mommy cry. Her valuable lesson - don't ever let your brother near your hair with a pair of scissors. Neither child has ever cut their own hair... Hmmm.... at least they figured that part out on their own.

Well, Little LadyBug still has the one curl he left. The rest of her hair has body, but will never have the banana curls of her babyhood.

LadyBug
Links to other Monday Memories

Kimmy
Mar
Kdubs
Norma
Courtney
Melanie
Veronika
Lazy Daisy
Katherine



Click here for the Monday Memories code
Click here for Shelli's blog


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!




2 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh, that's a classic! I would have cried too b/c her hair sounds so beautiful. You know, this experience probably ensured that neither of your children will grow up to be hair dressers, bad thing/good thing - who knows? ha ha. My first Monday Memory is up, too.

Lazy Daisy said...

Ok, I'm not saying I'll do this ever again....but I did a Monday Memory today.