Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Oh the Stress...

Last week we had drama because LLB and two friends tried out for a trio to be played at tomorrow evening's concert. LLB has always had some sort of a part in the concerts. Her friend, S, has not. S plays baritone - there isn't a whole lot that is usually done in the solo/duet world with a baritone - Not that it's not possible, it's just not a "hot" instrument. I'm just sayin'....

Anyway, LLB and and S and her friend B - who also plays baritone - were passed over for their trio. LLB was VERY upset because her friends don't normally get to play this sort of thing and she wanted them to have a shot.

When they were passed over, I told her, "Just do me a favor - Do NOT try out for the Star Spangled Banner. My system can't take it. It's too stressful for me."

She assured me that she would honor my request, be happy with her Grinch solo, and move on.

The phone rings. I can see from the caller ID it is the school.
"Hello?"
"Hi Mommy."
"Hi LLB. What's up?"
"Umm... well.. um... You know how you told me not to try out for the SSB solo?"
"Yes."
"Well, S REALLY wanted to play a duet and so we tried out."
"Yes."
"And.. umm... we got it. Are you mad?"
"No, LLB, I'm very proud of you."
"K, well, I gotta go."

And there it is... The stress in my life is back. I get to freak out until she and S are finished with that most difficult most recognizable song ever.

At least it's the first song of the evening.
And then I can sit back and relax and wait for my kid to play The Grinch.

No comments: