Saturday, March 15, 2008

Solo Drama

LLB and #1 are in their respective "honor" bands. This weekend is the rehearsal and concert.

I was sitting (almost hidden from view, but not really) on the steps waiting for the kids to come out yesterday when a kid (from another school) came out and tried to suck up to the high school level director for the event. He introduced himself and told the director that his first instrument is sax, but that he is playing tuba this weekend.

My thought - whatever...

Then he asked if he could challenge for the sax solo.

Radar goes up...

Mommy bear starts to emerge, but is quickly squashed back down. Don't want to make a scene if you don't know if YOUR kid actually has the solo.

Listening ears come out... I lean toward the conversation to make sure I don't miss anything.

The director says he can challenge.

#1 comes out.
"Do you have the sax solo?"
"Umm... yup. Just got it today because some kids left and won't be back (long story - their superintendent thought that because we had a bomb threat that his kids weren't safe, so they went home and aren't allowed back)."
"You know that a TUBA is challenging you for that solo tomorrow?"
"Yup."
"How do you feel about that?"
"He's a senior... I dunno."
"There is no way I'd let some TUBA player come in and take MY solo. I'd fight for it."
"Mom... you are right. I'm not going to let some brass player take my solo! He can rot before I give it to him."
Ah... that's my boy!

He came home and worked on it - it's Amazing Grace.
He played it beautifully.

I told him to play it from his heart and not from his head and he would be fine.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

No comments: