Saturday, January 27, 2007

Got Skis?

So my friend R and I decided to take 4 children skiing yesterday. She had never been skiing and neither had her children. #1 had skied with his school when we lived in New England, but LLB had never strapped boards to her feet and pointed them down a mountain before. I ski, but I ski very cautiously. I really don't want to fall down. Mr. tells me that I'm too slow and too careful. I'm sorry, but I'm not going yell "Cowabunga" and just aim for the bottom... It's just not me.

We arrived at the slope in the early afternoon to take advantage of the "Twilight" ski deal they had going. #1 got his skis, grabbed my cell phone, and took off. That was fine with me! The rest of us signed up for a lesson and the bunny hill.

The children took to skiing like ducks to water. They were zooming down that bunny hill so well! FYI: The rope tow and Jbars are no longer... Now we have a Magic Carpet Tow - It's like a people mover at the airport. Stick your skis on and it
pulls you up to the top of the bunny slope.

R did great! She's cautious like me. She did slide past me on the larger bunny hill and she very calmly said, "I am going too fast. I am going too fast." She was so cute!! She looked great and she was skiing beautifully! I was and still am impressed. I'm hoping to get her back out there soon - like when the kids are in school. The ski hill is only an hour away and I'm sure that during the school week, there is not a soul there. We can ski and perfect our turns while the slopes are empty.

#1 came and found us after our lesson. He had a wonderful time and his ski skills came back - just like riding a bike! It seems that he perfected more than his skiing while he was out there... He was popular with the girls from a local private school who were skiing there. Many of them asked for his phone number... Girls these days!!

LLB, HP and the Dancing Princess did not want to leave the slopes. It took some talking, but we finally convinced them that they had skied quite enough for one day.

Removal of the ski equipment was quite an adventure! R's boots were totally stuck on her feet. They did NOT want to come off. Then we got the giggles... It took every ounce of strength I had to get those foolish ski boots off her feet.

I am certainly hoping to get the kids back out on the slopes soon. I'll be a little busy next week, but maybe the week after...

5 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Thanks for stopping by Lady Bug..I hope that Annie and I learn to get along. really she is doing better tonight than I thought she would be doing this soon. I will get some better pics once she gets more acclimated to us. Sandy

Renee Nefe said...

That sounds like a fun day. We should probably take DD skiing some day...maybe DH should do it though because I end up stuck on the chair lift or almost running into buildings when I go.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a day well spent.

My son wants to try skiing, I have no interest though. I guess it's up to Dad to take him.

Susan said...

How fun!! I, for one, am a "ski school drop out"...but totally have great respect for those who can hit the slopes with such grace and style.

Have a GREAT week...I'm sure you'll enjoy your "quiet time" on the slopes soon.

:-) Susan

Just D said...

you are brave! I skiied once, when I was 16... it ended very badly! Like, ER room badly... It sounds so fun tho' - my hubs and Buddy go and always have such a great time. Good for you to get out there!