Thursday, July 26, 2018

Symbol over Substance

  I’m so tired of hearing about the crazy ideas coming out of California! 



First it was straws. The eco crazies wee telling us that our plastic straws are polluting the oceans. I don’t know about you, but I did a wee bit of research. Plastic straws contribute to .002% of all of the plastic pollution in our oceans.  According to the Economic World Forum, “By analyzing the waste found in the rivers and surrounding landscape, researchers were able to estimate that just 10 river systems carry 90% of the plastic that ends up in the ocean. Eight of them are in Asia: the Yangtze; Indus; Yellow; Hai He; Ganges; Pearl; Amur; Mekong; and two in Africa – the Nile and the Niger.” It seems to me that those places aren’t here in the USA. You don’t want plastic in our oceans? Get those 3rd world countries who actually do pollute to stop polluting! 

I can honestly say that I have never tossed any trash into the ocean and have never tossed a single plastic straw into anything but a trash can. Don’t punish me! I like to use straws. If I'm out about and stop for lunch, give me a straw in my glass or my cup. If I don’t feel well, I like a straw in my beverage by my bedside. If I’m driving long distances, I like a lid and a straw for my drink. I prefer plastic straws because they don’t get soft and disintegrate like those old paper straws we used to get. That used to totally gross me out. 

Not only do they not want me to use straws, they want to fine or jail servers who give them to their patrons. So... my server can get tossed in jail or fined for giving me a straw, but Hillary Clinton gets a pass for having classified information on her home computer? Really? Tell me how any of this makes sense! 

Banning straws makes the eco crazies think they are making a difference and it makes them feel good... sorry - it’s ineffective and a waste of time.

The other crazy thing coming out of California today was that the restaurants in San Francisco don’t like the fact that Google and the other tech companies provide free cafeterias for their employees. They want the government to prohibit the tech companies from having cafeterias that provide free food to employees. Talk about the “Nanny State”! Can you believe this?! This is the only time the liberal left has protested a free lunch! “We can’t compete with free”, they whine. 

We have a free market society. If a company gives a perk of free food in the cafeteria, the employees will be taking advantage of that. Yes, it keeps them on campus and working longer hours for the same amount of pay, but if the employees like it, so be it. Happy employees = excellent productivity. But, the restaurants don’t like it so they want to legislate companies to make their employees go out to lunch. That there is crazy talk! 







No comments: