Friday, February 22, 2008

Making myself clear...

I don't think I was perfectly clear in my last post, as I get the feeling that some of you just don't get what I was sayin'. Maybe it's because you don't know me in real life..

Anyway, let me make make myself clear...

#1 is an excellent saxophonist. He will continue to play in the elite band. He will continue to take sax lessons. He will continue to play with the Sax Ensemble and Jazz Band because he honors his commitments. He will march with the marching band. He will participate in all the musical opportunities offered to him because he actually enjoys playing the sax.

He will run track, too. The thing is that track and Sax Ensemble meet at the same time after school one day a week. He wants desperately to be part of a sports team. Sports teams supposedly make you cool. He doesn't want to be known as that band geek that runs track.

(Pardon me while I roll my eyes and sigh....)

He wants to be cool or hot or lukewarm or whatever the term is today. I understand that, but I also understand that he has to honor the commitments he makes. He made a commitment to Sax Ensemble months ago...

That said, the boy has informed me that he needs an upgrade to his sax. Yes, my friends, an upgrade to a professional quality sax. Ummm.. that's like 6 windows worth or 8 plane tix to Denver worth of sax. (I'm still mulling that one over... That's a lot of moolah right now.)

So - he likes to play. He will continue to play. He's a serious musician.
I just want him to honor his commitments.

No comments: