Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ringin' my bell...

I had rehearsal with the church ladies last night.
They are a dream choir for me.
They read.
They can ring.
They don't need constant supervision or instruction.
They mark their music and don't whine when it looks hard.
They are ready to play and when my hands go down, sound comes out of the bells.
They don't tell me to "wait a sec." , or "hold on", or "I'm not ready!"
It's really nice and for the first time in a very long time, I am enjoying directing. The school choir is fun, but it's a ton of work - discipline, prep time, grades, etc.
This choir is a blast!!

Last night I brought some different music for them to play. It wasn't "churchy" if you know what I mean. It was challenging, it used all 5 octaves, it used their chimes, AND it was fun.
They loved it. They smiled. They worked hard. They enjoyed themselves.
When rehearsal was due to be over, I asked them if they wanted to keep going. Guess what they said... "YES!" How cool is that?!

I'm a very happy camper...

No comments: