Friday, February 29, 2008

Should I Stay or...

I got a phone call from the Vestry Chairperson yesterday morning. I had emailed her last week to tell her that I would be late for the next meeting that is 2 weeks from now because my new bell choir has a rehearsal. They are playing for Palm Sunday and I cannot (okay, will not) skip that rehearsal. Anyway it seems that my being late has put some people's knickers in a twist. (I have never ever missed a meeting...) I told her that I was sorry, but I really needed to make the rehearsal.
Then I asked her "If I'm late to this meeting are they going to boot me off the vestry?"
"That is a very real possibility."
"Cool!!!"
That is not the answer she was expecting.
I explained to her that I was not happy and that I do not like being on the vestry. (As a matter of fact, I hate it. I did it because Mr. just didn't have the time... I basically took his bullet.)
I hate the politics. I hate having to be the one who states the obvious. (Now that Clearly is also serving, it's better, but I still hate it.) I enjoy the people, but the rest of it... you can have.
(To be honest, I was enjoying it until we got reamed out for not attending Ash Wednesday services last year. That left a very sour taste... As a matter of fact, I don't go to anything Lenten - ever - because of that.)
The chairperson gave me an out. She basically told me I could quit.
I think I will.
Me - the one who always honors a commitment is going to run for it.

So... what do you think I should do? I have 18 months left. Should I stay or should I go??

No comments: